Tuesday, March 31, 2009

R.I.P. - Andy Hallett (1975 - 2009)

.


Andy Hallett, who played the lovable Lorne (or, if you prefer, Krevlornswath of the Deathwok Clan) on the WB's Angel, passed away last night of heart failure. He was 33.

I never got into Buffy: The Vampire Slayer like I did with Angel. Maybe it's just cuz I'm a guy & I like the brooding stuff. But definitely one of the main reasons I liked the show was because of Andy Hallett's character, Lorne. Lorne was The Host at a trendy nightclub that tailored to vampires, demons & such. If someone got up and sang karaoke, Lorne was able to read their auras, and their futures. Lorne was great in every episode he was in, bringing most of the comic relief to the show, but the one episode that will always stick out in my mind as Lorne's best is Life of the Party in season 5. Lorne's lack of sleep causes his subconscious to use his powers differently. Instead of reading destinies, he starts to write them, granting him a sort of mind control/suggestion power. Lorne's grip on reality gets steadily worse throughout the episode & Andy played it very well.

As a side note - I worked with a guy last year named Evan and he reminded me of Lorne so much because he had the same basic build as Lorne and would sing and do little dance moves around in a very Lorne-ish style. It was pretty cool.

No comments: